Ohio Family Lawyer
Here to Fight For You

  1. Home
  2.  – 
  3. Child Custody
  4.  – When can you alter a custody order?

When can you alter a custody order?

On Behalf of | Jan 15, 2023 | Child Custody

When you and your ex-spouse divorced, you had to make a child custody order. With a child custody agreement in place, you and your child’s other parent would still be responsible to uphold your parental duties and obligations. 

There’s a lot to consider when making a custody arrangement. For starters, you and your ex-spouse had to determine who had physical and legal custody – where your child lives and which parent determines their upbringing. Afterward, you and your ex-spouse likely determined where your child would go to school, whether they would have a religious upbringing, their dietary restrictions and visitation rights. 

That’s a lot to consider. It can be daunting to think about the apparent finality of the agreements. However, you can change a child custody order. In fact, you’ll likely have to make some changes once your child grows up. 

Yet, you can’t change a child custody arrangement for just any reason, at any time – you have to have a strong reason to make alterations. Here’s what you should know:

Making modifications for your child’s well-being

It may have been several years since the last time you made or altered your child custody arrangement. The judge will want to know why you want to make alterations. The following are reasons a child custody order has been updated:

  • One or both parents plan to move, which would make the current arrangement difficult to continue
  • One parent is convicted of a criminal charge or has endangered your child 
  • Your child needs to change schools or 
  • Your custody arrangement needs altering to support your growing child
  • The other parent refuses to follow the previously determined agreement

You don’t have to make one child custody plan and hope that it’ll work forever. You may need to know your legal rights when modifying a child custody order.